Shoulder pain can be effectively treated with safe non-invasive chiropractic care from a skilled chiropractor in Plymouth. This type of pain is common, particularly since the shoulder joint is used for a wide range of motion. The pain can be mild to excruciating or disabling depending on the cause. You may not be able to perform routine daily functions or stay limber if you’re an athlete or sports enthusiast. Here at Plymouth Bay Orthopedic Associates, we invite you to learn more about shoulder pain relief.
Rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE) or medication may not provide effective relief if your injury is serious or caused by musculoskeletal problems. Fortunately, drug-free chiropractic adjustments along with massage therapies and rehabilitative exercises can provide lasting relief as well as improve your quality of life.
What Causes Shoulder Pain?
Heavy lifting and repetitive use are common causes of muscle strains or ligament sprains. A sports injury, e.g., from direct impact, a fall, accident injury, degenerative conditions, and even a pinched neck nerve can cause pain to develop. Many individuals seek chiropractic care for shoulder pain due to these conditions that can affect the shoulder joint, collarbone, shoulder blades, muscles, ligaments, tendons, or bursae:
- Rotator cuff tears
- Broken collarbone
- Dislocation or fracture
- Frozen shoulder (stiffness)
- Rotator cuff tendonitis (impingement syndrome)
Common Shoulder Pain Symptoms
Acute injuries may result in a sudden and sharp pain that could also be accompanied by swelling, tenderness, stiffness, or tightness. The pain may radiate to the arm and hand. Some patients feel numbness or tingling which signals that a spinal nerve is pinched. The shoulder may be visibly deformed or become unstable. Pain from overuse or wear and tear conditions may start as a dull ache then progress to chronic or severe pain. You may have trouble lifting the arm, bearing weight, or performing tasks that involve using the shoulder.
Shoulder Pain Relief by Your Plymouth Chiropractor
Chiropractors offer a natural solution for shoulder pain. The chiropractor will do a comprehensive physical examination, run various tests, as well as examine the shoulder and spine to determine your condition. This helps with designing a treatment program that is ideal for you. Your pain management plan may include these chiropractic techniques:
- Shoulder Adjustment: The joints and bones in the shoulder are adjusted as necessary to restore alignment and alleviate symptoms such as pain and inflammation. Adjusting the shoulder structure also increase range of motion and provide an opportunity for damaged tissue to heal.
- Spinal Adjustment: A misalignment of the neck or cervical spine causing shoulder pain can be corrected with spinal adjustments. Hand or instrument-based thrusts are used to apply gentle force to the spinal joints. Doing this straightens the spine and relieves pressure on the discs, nerves, and soft tissue.
- Shoulder Rehabilitation: Your doctor may recommend corrective exercise for rebuilding and strengthening core muscles. Muscle repair helps to prevent overuse injuries, strains, sprains, and inflammation.
Get In Touch with Us for More Information
Shoulder pain can interfere with your ability to perform daily functions even a task as simple as combing your hair. Early treatment from our certified chiropractor can prevent chronic pain or complications known to limit shoulder mobility. To learn more about shoulder pain relief, please feel free to reach out and make an appointment with Plymouth Bay Orthopedic Associates. At our convenient locations in Duxbury and Sandwich, our caring and dedicated team of professionals will be pleased to answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to set up your consultation – we look forward to speaking with you!