Spondylolisthesis is a condition that occurs when one vertebra of the spine slips forward over another vertebrae above or below it. It can occur anywhere along the spine, but is most often located in the lumbar spine. When the vertebrae slips, it can begin to compress the spinal cord or irritate the spinal nerves which can result in several painful symptoms.
Signs & Symptoms
- Lower back pain
- Pain or burning that radiates into the buttocks and legs (known as Sciatica)
- Numbness or tingling in the legs and feet
How is it Treated?
- Physical Therapy
- Anti-inflammatories, steroids or muscle relaxers to temporarily provide relief
- Injection based therapies
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgical procedures
If problems persist, talk to your doctor or specialist to explore further options. In 4-6 weeks, the majority of patients find their symptoms are relieved without surgery if properly handled.