About Ganglion Cysts:
Ganglion cysts are common fluid-filled sacs located in the hand and wrist that are adjacent to the joints or tendons. Most often, they are located at the top of the wrist, the palm side of the wrist, the base of the finger on the palm side, and the top of the end joint of the finger. Ganglion cysts are filled with clear fluid or gel.
Signs & Symptoms
- Visible lump on the hand or wrist area is present
- Pain, tingling, or muscle weakness is possible if cyst is compressing on nerves passing through the joint
How is it Treated?
- Waiting and observing to ensure that no changes are occurring
- Immobilizing the affected area so that size does not increase
- Fluid may be drained from the cyst through a process called aspiration
- Surgical removal may be considered. Contact an orthopedic specialist to explore options