About Hip Fractures:
A hip fracture is a break in the upper end of the femur or thighbone often caused by steep falls or direct, severe impacts to the side of the hip.
Signs & Symptoms
- Pain in the outer upper thigh or groin
- Significant pain or discomfort when trying to rotate or flex the hip
- Inability to move after having fallen
- Inability to place weight on the leg of the affected side
- Stiffness, bruising and/or swelling near the affected area
- Often one will find themselves holding the injured leg in a position where the foot and knee are turned outward
How is it Treated?
The large majority of hip fractures require surgical treatment and physical therapy.
Doctors Who Treat This Condition