About Biceps Tendon Tear:
A biceps tendon tear occurs when you tear the biceps tendon located at the shoulder. When a tendon tear occurs, the patient will feel a snapping noise in the front of the elbow with immediate pain and swelling to follow. This can create great pain when moving the arm forcefully and can lead to loss of strength in the arm. Risk factors include trying to prevent something from falling or carrying a heavy object.
Signs & Symptoms:
- Pain and swelling in the bicep
- Tenderness just below the crease of the elbow
- Bruising around the elbow
- Shortening or retraction of the bicep muscle
How is it Treated?
- Physical Therapy
- Pain medications
- This injury may require surgery to repair the torn tendon. Seeing an orthopedic specialist should be considered.