About IT Band Tendinitis:
IT (iliotibial) Band Tendinitis is an injury that occurs when the iliotibial band of muscle fascia that runs from the pelvic brim to the just below the knee becomes inflamed as a result of injury or overuse. The causes of this injury are overuse or improper form resulting in weakness of the hip muscles and/or tightness in the band itself. This injury is common among athletes, especially runners and cyclists.
Signs & Symptoms
- Knee or hip pain (felt with flexing and/or going up and down stairs)
- Tenderness on the outside of the knee or hip joint
- Tightness of the IT band and hamstrings
- Weakness in the hip and buttock muscles.
How is it Treated?
- Physical Therapy to correct the tightness and muscle imbalance
- Anti-inflammatory medications and injections
- Rare severe cases may require surgery