About Shoulder Arthritis:
Patients suffering from arthritis in the shoulder will suffer from stiffness, pain, and a limited range of motion around the shoulder region. A common type of arthritis that affects this area of the body is known as osteoarthritis, which is a progressive degeneration of the joints. Osteoarthritis occurs when the cartilage that allows the joint to move smoothly becomes damaged. Over time, this cartilage gets worn down and adjacent bones are re-positioned as the joint rusts or becomes gradually abnormal. Rheumatoid arthritis is another common type of arthritis that can be found in the shoulder.
Signs & Symptoms:
- Persistent pain may occur, which may be aggravated and increasingly worsened by activity
- A limited range of motion is likely, making it difficult to lift your arm, comb your hair, or reach your arms out
- A grinding, clicking, or snapping sound as you move your shoulder
- May experience night pain that makes sleeping difficult
How is it Treated?
- Physical Therapy
- Pain medications
- Cortisone or other medication based injections
- This injury may require surgery. Seeing an orthopedic specialist should be considered.